|RPSI locomotives 461(left) and 171(right), with Ulster Folk and Transport Museum No.85, at Inchicore on May 20th 1995.
RPSI's first locomotive was the "Guinness Engine", an industrial shunting
locomotive from the famous brewery in Dublin. "Guinness" was presented
to the Society in 1965. Ex- GNR No.171 "Slieve Gullion" and ex-GSWR
No.186 followed shortly afterwards. Other locomotives were added
over the years, culminating in the presentation of No.131 and No.184 to
the Society in 2004. At any one time, one main line loco is based
in Dublin and another in Whitehead (for Belfast based day trips).
An extra locomotive is used to shunt at Whitehead.
Over the years, all but two
of the locomotives in our collection have been restored or rebuilt by ourselves
at our Whitehead base. The RPSI built its own Locomotive Workshop
at Whitehead in 1997, complete with an 1897 built overhead heavy lifting
crane which came from the former Belfast & County Down Railway's works
at Queen's Quay, Belfast. The RPSI's Whitehead Depot is the premier
steam engineering facility in Ireland and has been able to carry out contract
work as well - most recently the rebuilding of locomotives owned by the
and County Down Railway.
Operational mainline locomotives
Operational shunting locomotives
RPSI locomotive under overhaul
Folk and Transport Museum locomotive under overhaul
Locomotive under contract overhaul
Locomotives overhauled on contract
1/8th scale model
Keeping Locomotives alive in Ireland since 1964